Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Sunday, July 24, 2011
Yes, yes the boring little factual bits about Brisbane… I promise it will be short and sweet as I am only really discovering these facts myself.
Brisbane is the 3rd most populated city in Australia coming after Sydney and Melbourne. We have approx. 2 million people living in the Greater Brisbane area. The Greater Brisbane area is 5904.8 sq Km.
We have the Story Bridge, the Go Between Bridge, Victoria Bridge, the Goodwill Bridge, William Jolly Bridge and a few others that I just can’t remember that cross the Brisbane River.
The Brisbane River winds from the mouth at Moreton Bay all the way to the Brisbane Range east of Kingaroy (according to Wikipedia ). It is dammed at Lake Wivenhoe and some other interesting places.
Here are just a few of my own facts about my hometown of Brisbane (they may change as I rediscover it):
1. public transport here is very different from other cities (particularly the cost).
2. most people visit the cbd to either work, shop, drink, dance or walk along the river (I do all 5).
3. some would say that Brisbane is a large country town not a city (I tend to agree ).
4. people of Brisbane are Great! Laid back and easy going at times when needed and busy and hard working at others. (for example during the floods).
5. the beach is in one direction and the bush is in the other, both not more than an hour away.
Ok this part is over and I can get onto the more interesting things about Brisbane in my next post, which may not be that far away.