Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Discovering the “valley” in daylight…

This weekend I spent a day with my sister in-law Ruvay in Fortitude Valley (the valley to the locals).  We scored a great car park on McLachlan Street and headed down to Spoon Cafe for my black coffee and Ruvay’s half strength flat white (hehe from me).  Then we wandered down James Street looking for something interesting.  I had read about some new shops going into one of the alleyways off one of the Streets.  We walked and walked… ran into some very drunk young men (11am) who wanted us to take their photo…turned a corner and another corner and found ourselves outside our favourite dance haunt The Bank.  We headed down Ann Street past the Bowery and found an amazing little rockabilly store Tiger Rag. Then I gave in and text my cousin in-law Liz to ask her where to go.  I followed her instructions and we found ourselves on Winn Street, where we found a little alleyway coming off it.

P8140173P8140175

The Flamingo Cafe and The Outpost are at the entrance to the alleyway.  I was happy to find the Flamingo because an old friend of mine had mentioned it to me a few weeks ago.  They serve sausage rolls with pumpkin jam and all these other great things.  The Outpost sells the brand Pass Port that my friends son works on.

P8140176P8140179

Here is Ruvay setting up her camera.  We went into Sunday Social a great little shop full of vintage goodness.

Next door was Little Jane St with fantastic books about art and craft and all things paper.

P8140177P8140178

After lots of window shopping and antiquing we headed to New Farm Park for lunch.  After a wonderful “Coles” Greek salad, brie & quince paste on water crackers and fresh strawberries with the view of the Brisbane river we went to Powerhouse for a hot cuppa (it started to rain and we were cold Smile).

P8140190P8140191

P8140192Photo_054A5D91-B10B-2822-02AD-ACDAA6BEA9DC

On our way home we stopped to take some photos of Brisbane’s famous Story Bridge.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I had a fantastic day out with my sister in-law discovering a part of Brisbane I haven’t seen in quite some time.  There are so many new shops and really great vintage/handmade stores.  I love that they have started to utilise the alleyways in Brisbane (like Melbourne).

If you have time while the weather is great and not too hot why not head out with your loved ones for a day out in Fortitude Valley or New Farm Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment